Norman Police Department receives re-accreditation
NORMAN -- The Norman Police Department has received notification it has been granted the coveted Award of Re-Accreditation from the Oklahoma Association of Chiefs of Police, Oklahoma Law Enforcement Agency Accreditation and Professional Standards Program.
This marks 13th consecutive year the agency has been accredited. To maintain accredited agencies must submit to a subsequent independent on-site review every three years.
The concept of law enforcement accreditation began in the 1970s. The goal was and is to instill “professionalism” into every phase of law enforcement service. In July 1996, the Oklahoma Association of Chiefs of Police received a grant to implement a law enforcement accreditation program in Oklahoma.
A committee including representatives from municipal, county and state law enforcement, municipal assurance attorneys, and law enforcement bargaining units was formed to review and develop Oklahoma appropriate law enforcement accreditation standards.
The standards or best practices are intended to assist agencies in the efficient and effective delivery of law enforcement services. The standards cover all aspects of operations including individual’s rights, use of force, vehicle pursuits, property and evidence management, and other administrative, patrol, and investigative operations.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister