District 3A-3 football preview: Mitch Henderson leads tough Kingfisher offensive line
Kingfisher offensive line is led by Mitch Henderson, a 6-foot-5, 305-pound senior.
Running back Landon Nault is the top playmaker in Kingfisher's offense as he enters his junior season and third year as a starter. Quarterback Grant Newton is the glue that holds the unit together.
NewsOK Related Articles
District 3A-3 coaches' poll
1. Heritage Hall (12-1)
2. Kingfisher (9-2)
3. Newcastle (5-6)
4. John Marshall (4-6)
5. Bethel (4-6)
(tie) Star Spencer (1-9)
7. Centennial (1-9)
*-Last year's record in parentheses
But their jobs are made much easier with a big and experienced offensive line in front of them.
Mitch Henderson, a 6-foot-5, 305-pound senior, anchors the unit that essentially returns four starters. Seniors Cole Cameron and Chris Ludwig, as well as sophomore Kaden Jackson, will fill spots once again for the Yellowjackets.
“We've got each other's backs, and we're used to it,” said Henderson, who is being recruited by Tulsa. “We're aggressive, and we know we've got good teammates beside us. We do work.”
NICHOLS KEY FOR NEWCASTLE
As passing offenses continue to become more prevalent in high school, the value of a strong cornerback grows.
Newcastle coach Keith Bolles knows how important Cade Nichols will be from that position this season after a standout junior year in 2011.
Nichols closed off his side of the field, recording five interceptions and 39 tackles. He also accounted for four receiving touchdowns.
The Racers' defense will also count on senior lineman Justin Coryell, an experienced 6-4, 260-pound senior who will start both ways.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort