College football: Taking a look at the Heisman hopefuls
HEISMAN FAVORITES — With LSU's dismissal of Tyrann Mathieu, Wisconsin's Montee Ball becomes the lone 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist to return this season.
Tyrann Mathieu, the star cornerback who became known as the “Honey Badger,” was dismissed by LSU earlier this month, leaving Wisconsin's Montee Ball as the lone 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist back this year.
NewsOK Related Articles
Like last season, a Pac-12 quarterback enters as the clear-cut favorite to leave New York in early December with the Heisman. Stanford's Andrew Luck came up short last year, but USC's Matt Barkley seems poised to potentially become the Trojans' fourth Heisman winner since 2002.
Here are five favorites to win the 2012 Heisman Trophy, and five more to watch.
MATT BARKLEY, SR., USC, QB
He's on pace to break USC career passing records and will be a four-year starter. Last season, he threw for over 3,500 yards and 39 touchdowns.
DENARD ROBINSON, SR., MICHIGAN, QB
Robinson's suspect passing aside, he's among the country's elite game-changers. He is the only player in NCAA history to pass for 2,000 and rush for 1,500 yards in one season. Over the last two years, he's accounted for over 7,600 total yards and 68 touchdowns.
MONTEE BALL, SR., WISCONSIN, RB
Ball tied OSU legend Barry Sanders' single-season NCAA record with 39 touchdowns last season, when he led the country with 1,923 rushing yards and was both a Heisman finalist and consensus first-team All-American. He's 18 scores away from breaking the NCAA career record for touchdowns.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena