Oklahoma State football: Former line coach Karl Dunbar says Cowboys have facilities "to die for"
NFL Q&A -- Former Oklahoma State football assistant Karl Dunbar is now the New York Jets' defensive line coach under Rex Ryan
Karl Dunbar is in his first season as defensive line coach for the New York Jets after six seasons with the Minnesota Vikings.
After his playing career ended at LSU, Dunbar played in the NFL for three seasons with New Orleans and Arizona.
Dunbar, 45, began his coaching career as a defensive line coach at Nicholls State and spent one year in Stillwater on Les Miles' staff at Oklahoma State. He left to coach the Chicago Bears' defensive line. After one year at LSU, Dunbar returned to the NFL with the Vikings in 2006.
Q: What are your impressions of New York Jets coach Rex Ryan?
A: I played for Rex when I was with the Arizona Cardinals. He was my D-line coach. He hasn't changed much. He's still the same loose guy who is going to give you everything he has.
Is Ryan's coaching style similar to his off-the-cuff TV persona?
In practice and on the field he's even more so. He does a great job of letting guys know how he feels, how he feels they need to play for the Jets.
Are you confident Adrian Peterson, coming off ACL surgery, can return to his old form?
Adrian is the consummate pro. He works hard every day. You can tell he's raring to get back in game shape, get that knee well and get back out there. He's a man, from the handshake to soles of his feet. I got to see firsthand just how special a player he is.
What are your impressions of Oklahoma State's steady rise?
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister