Kingfisher's Grant Newton takes over at quarterback
No longer part of a platoon, senior leads a Class 3A favorite
Grant Newton was the running half of Kingfisher's two-quarterback system last year, but now as a senior, Newton is the lone starter. And he's ready to lead the team that many see as one of the favorites in Class 3A.
NewsOK Related Articles
Do you have a different mindset this year, knowing that you're the quarterback and this is your team?
It's a little different. There are more expectations on me. There's a little more command in the huddle. I feel a little more control in the offense this year, knowing everything is coming through me. Other that, we're still running the same stuff and I'm still at the same comfort level than last year.
It has to feel nice having that big offensive line, with four returning starters. in front of you, doesn't it?
It's really nice. All five guys have played before and they all know what they're doing. All of them can move and run. They're big and athletic. It's comforting. Nobody else has that kind of line to work with like we do.
In addition, you have one of the best running backs in Class 3A in Landon Nault. Not a bad partner to have next to you in the backfield.
He's been starting for two years at running back. He's a strong, fast runner and he's been working so hard in the offseason. He's the hardest worker I know. He's gotten bigger and faster. We're expecting a lot of him, and he'll definitely be productive this year.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister