Putnam City offense gets new look
Quarterback Devin White will be focal point for Pirates.
WARR ACRES — The last two years, the Putnam City offense was structured around dynamic running back Casey Curtis. But now that Curtis has graduated, and co-offensive coordinator Rob Renshaw took a head coaching job at Marlow, it's safe to say the Pirates will have a different look on the offensive side of the ball.
NewsOK Related Articles
Quarterback Devin White has a year of experience behind him, and he's fitting well into an offense that is more spread out than the last two seasons. He's also much more comfortable running the offense.
“It's a lot easier, and it has taken a lot of pressure off me,” White said. “I'm leading the offense and I have to step up and be a better leader than I was last year.
“We're in more of a spread with some four-wide stuff, and I like that. The offense will be good and the defense looks really good.”
Curtis' younger brother, Javone Knox, will get a look at tailback, along with Devin Colbert. And the Pirates have a variety of experienced players back at receiver, like Marc Perry and Jacky Smith.
“Overall, I think the offense can be better than it was last year,” White said.
Perry and Smith also double as defensive backs in a strong defense.
“The defense has made big strides this year,” Perry said. “We had a good defense last year, but this year's defense has really gotten better.”
The Pirates are moving to an east-side district, which is both good and bad.
Putnam City will have to take on a couple of the Tulsa-area powers, Jenks and Broken Arrow, which are likely to run away with the top two playoff spots as well.
But the battle for the third and fourth spots will be wide-open, with teams like Westmoore, Muskogee, Sapulpa and Bixby in the hunt.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates