District 6A-2 football preview: Westmoore looking for big things
After going 7-4 last season and making the playoffs, Westmoore moves over to an East-side district in District 6A-2.
The Jaguars are picked third in the district behind 6A powers Jenks and Broken Arrow.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
District 6A-2 coaches' poll
1. Jenks (10-3)
2. Broken Arrow (12-2)
3. Westmoore (7-4)
4. Bixby (3-8)
5. Muskogee (4-6)
6. Putnam City (6-4)
7. Sapulpa (5-5)
8. Tulsa Edison (0-10)
Note: Last year's records in parentheses
“I'm really excited about it,” Westmoore coach Billy Langford said. “I think we're going to be pretty good this year, so now's a good time. Our kids, I think, are excited about it. We can go test ourselves against what's considered the best, and they've shown it every year.”
Westmoore returns the core of last year's team, including leading running back Austin Richards.
Langford said Richards' overall rushing yardage might slip a bit as the Jaguars use quarterback Jhames West in the running game more, but his per-carry average should improve.
WHITE ENGINEERING PC OFFENSE
Last year's Putnam City offense was built around the idea of getting the ball to star running back Casey Curtis as often as possible.
But with Curtis off to the college ranks, the Pirates will be more diversified offensively to utilize the dual-threat talents of returning quarterback Devin White.
The 6-foot-1, 180-pound White rushed for 524 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, while throwing for 817 yards and seven scores, averaging 11.1 attempts per game.
“It's my offense now, so I've got to step up and be a better leader than I was last year,” White said. “I like being able to throw the ball a little more, and there are some run plays for me in there, too.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena