Republicans add two seats in Oklahoma Senate
Rob Standridge won the Republican nomination for Senate District 15 in Norman.
Shawnee and Tulsa have new Senators after Ron Sharp, a retired Shawnee High School teacher, and Nathan Dahm, a former missionary, won Tuesday runoff elections.
Videoview all videos
Aug 29Shawnee and Tulsa have new Senators - Ron Sharp, a...
Aug 29Mark McBride, Ken Walker and Kay Floyd all won in...
Photoview all 10 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Because neither race drew candidates from the Democratic or independent parties, the Republicans fortified their stronghold Tuesday night in the Senate by two seats leading up to the November general election that will determine victors in 13 other seats.
Sharp, 60, defeated fellow Republican Ed Moore, a Baptist minister from Shawnee, in a very close runoff election for Senate District 17, which is in parts of Oklahoma and Pottawatomie counties.
Sharp had 1,705 votes or 52 percent and Moore had 1,608 votes or 48 percent of the votes.
“It was a close one,” Sharp said. “It took a team effort to win this race.”
Sharp said he's going to represent the entire district: Choctaw, Jones, Luther, McLoud.
“They're all going to see me,” he said. “There's not going to be any part of District 17 that doesn't see me. I want them to know that they will have access to their Senator.”
The district lines had been considerably redrawn for the seat before the June primary and no Democrats, including nine-year incumbent Sen. Charlie Laster, of Shawnee, filed for the seat.
In the primary two months ago, Moore had a slight lead and received 34 percent of the vote and Sharp 31 percent. Because neither candidate received a majority in the four-candidate race, they had to meet in the Tuesday runoff.
Tulsan wins election
Republicans also gained a seat in the Tulsa Senate race where incumbent Sen. Tom Adelson, D-Tulsa, didn't seek re-election following redistricting.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed