Oklahoma scene: OKC RIVERSPORT captures 11 gold medals at USA Sprint Nationals
Jones resident Dylan Puckett named to U.S. team for Olympic Hopes Regatta in Hungary.
OKC RIVERSPORT athletes won 35 medals at the 2012 USA Canoe/Kayak Sprint National and Masters Championships last weekend in Seattle. OKC RIVERSPORT captured 11 gold medals, 11 silver medals and 13 bronze medals.
Garrett Wampler became the first Chickasaw youth athlete to win a gold medal for OKC RIVERSPORT. Paddling with three members of the Seattle Canoe/Kayak Club in a race for ages 13 and younger, Wampler's team finished first in the 1,000-meter event.
The Chickasaw Nation started a youth league last year on the Oklahoma River.
Other first-place finishers from OKC RIVERSPORT included kayaker Dylan Puckett; kayaker Kaitlyn McElroy (three golds); Mia Overton in canoe; and kayaker Sherry Andrusiak (three individual golds in the Masters Championships, competition among adults in different age groups).
Andrusiak also partnered with Joe Jacobi, chief executive officer of Canoe/Kayak in Oklahoma City, to win a Mixed Masters event in kayaking. Jacobi also captured gold in a men's 500-meter kayaking race.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15918Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8813OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6389Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5669Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5503OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4915Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4833Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater