Heritage Hall beats rival Casady
A.J. Knowles, Chedon Shockley lead Chargers past Casady
No Barry Sanders. No Sterling Shepard. No problem. At least not yet for Heritage Hall.
The Chargers lost their superstar running back and receiver from one year ago to graduation, but they were not missed Thursday night because of A.J. Knowles and Chedon Shockley.
Videoview all videos
Aug 31Norman North's 6-3, 210-pound linebacker Jordan Evans...
Photoview all 46 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Knowles scored twice and rushed for 102 yards on 16 carries, while Shockley had 90 yards receiving as the Chargers downed Casady, 30-8, at Hoot Gibson Field.
Knowles isn't the same kind of runner as Sanders, but the 6-1, 215-pound junior was just as effective against the Cyclones, doing most of his damage in the second half when the game was in doubt.
“A.J. is a pounder,” Heritage Hall coach Andy Bogert said. “To be honest with you, we are kind of scared to tackle him in our practices. He is a load and he goes straight ahead. He is hard to bring down.”
Shockley, a 5-10, 175-pound senior receiver, will be used much like Shepard was in the Chargers' offense last season. On Thursday, he was the favorite receiver of sophomore quarterback Connor McGinnis, who completed 10 passes, eight to Shockley.
“Chedon is so versatile,” Bogert said. “We can play him just about anywhere we want to play him. We play him multiple positions on offense and multiple positions on defense. We have always liked to move guys around. We are going to try to get him the ball as much as we can.”
Defensively, the Chargers sacked Casady junior quarterback Drew Cook four times. The biggest came midway in the fourth quarter by the Chargers' Demaria Walters on a fourth-and-7 when the Cyclones were trying to rally from a 16-8 deficit.
The 12-yard loss gave Heritage Hall possession on the Cyclones' 36 and the Chargers scored five plays later, with Knowles carrying the ball four times for 29 yards and scoring the decisive touchdown from the 3.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified