High school football: Norman North quarterbacks lead rout of Del City
Peyton Gavras throws for three touchdowns, Channing Meyer adds another as North hammers Eagles, 41-14
NORMAN — With Norman North, one never knows which quarterback it will be that will lift the Timberwolves. Both Peyton Gavras and Channing Meyer did so on Friday night.
Photoview all 42 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Gavras threw three touchdown passes, and Meyer added another as the Timberwolves, ranked No. 10 in Class 6A, pulled away in the final 20 minutes for a 41-14 win over Del City at Harve Collins Field.
After a lightning delay of 71 minutes, Del City (0-2) rallied from a 14-0 deficit to tie the game, but Norman North (2-0) answered with touchdowns on its next two possessions to effectively salt away the win.
Meyer's 7-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Sipe put the Timberwolves up 21-14, and Gavras followed with a 44-yard scoring strike to Jake Higginbotham. North recovered a Del City fumble at the Eagles' 9 and scored early in the fourth quarter on a 3-yard run by Erwin Frazier. Bryan Payne's 53-yard catch-and-run with 7:32 left ended all doubt.
Gavras completed 12-of-21 passes for 239 yards. Payne caught two of Gavras' touchdown passes and also scored on a 3-yard run.
Del City quarterback Jon McBride went 12-of-28 passing for 172 yards and a touchdown and rushed 21 times for 50 yards and another score.
Norman North scored on its opening drive, but it lost senior lineman Josh Been to an apparent leg injury along the way. Been had to be carted off the field, and on the next snap, Gavras threw a swing pass to Payne, who scored from 22 yards out. Redford Jones' extra-point kick put the Timberwolves up 7-0.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister