Oklahoma State Fair begins with food fight
Heavy rains can't slow down the Oklahoma State Fair's annual Great Taste of the Fair contest.
The Oklahoma State Fair did the two things Thursday that it does best on opening day: introduce deep-fried foods dappled in chocolate, bacon — or both — on a stick, and bring the rain.
Videoview all videos
Sep 14Fairgoers can get a glimpse of farm and outdoor...
Sep 14As it has for the past three years, the Great Taste of a...
Photoview all 69 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
As it has for the past three years, the Great Taste of a Fair contest opened the 11-day event. Seventeen of the dozens of fair food vendors put forth their best dish to a panel of eight judges, who ranked the top two dishes in four categories: Best Tasting Savory, Best Tasting Sweet, Most Unique Savory and Most Unique Sweet.
For the first time in the three-year contest, the chicken-on-a-stick from Ragin' Cajun didn't take home the gold in Best Tasting Savory item. First-time fair vendor Burger and Chili Shack, run by Dallas resident Tom Grace, edged the two-time champs with his Juicy Lucy burger. To defeat Pensacola, Fla., native James Harvell and his famous homemade hot sauce, Grace served the signature burger that features a patty stuffed with cheese.
At the Burger and Chili Shack, fairgoers can custom-order their burger to include mushrooms, jalapenos, onions or whatever their heart desires. The Ragin' Cajuns didn't win, but they did finish a close second as the chicken was just as juicy as always and that homemade hot sauce was just as satisfying.
Perennial champion Coco Flow, owned and operated by Oklahoma City's master chocolatier Gene Leiterman, blew away the judges' table with an Oklahoma Cabernet Chocolate Souffle. Topped with homemade Chantilly cream and fresh cut strawberries, this chocolate explosion was the class of the entries, whether sweet or savory. Leiterman has finished first, second and first in the three-year-old competition.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates