Rain during Oklahoma State fair isn't uncommon, state weather records suggest
Time for the Oklahoma State Fair? Rain likely isn't far behind, Oklahoma climatological records suggest.
Scott Dewald, Oklahoma Cattlemen's Association executive vice president, said he's heard the association between rain and the beginning of the Oklahoma State Fair “in a joking way” for years.
Videoview all videos
Sep 14Fairgoers can get a glimpse of farm and outdoor...
Sep 14As it has for the past three years, the Great Taste of a...
Photoview all 69 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
That includes this year.
“It's like the old adage ‘It's going to rain, I just washed my car.' It's similar at fair time,” Dewald said. “In fact, someone in our office said earlier this week, ‘The fair starts Thursday, so it's going to rain.'”
And it did. Thursday marked the opening of the state fair, and Oklahoma City officially received more than a half-inch of rain, according to the National Weather Service, Norman Forecast Office.
So why does it seem rain and the Oklahoma State Fair are often linked in conversations?
Gary McManus, of the Oklahoma Climatological Survey, said some parts of the year in Oklahoma are naturally rainier than others. The state's rainy season occurs from April to mid-June.
“There is a secondary, but less active, rainy season in the fall, as well,” McManus said.
And for record-keeping purposes, climatologists and meteorologists consider fall as Sept. 1 through the end of November.
“So when talking about events such as the state fair in September, we're talking, climatologically speaking of course, about an increased chance of rain, since they do fall in our rainy seasons,” he said.
McManus looked at precipitation statistics from all Sept. 13ths from 1891 to 2012.
Although the Oklahoma State Fair hasn't been around that entire time period, Sept. 13 is a good general target date.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 20726Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16618Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11933Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11447Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10097Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9885OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9809Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss