High schools: Quarterback Justice Hansen accounts for seven touchdowns in Edmond Santa Fe victory
Hansen will visit Florida State this weekend for the Seminoles' game against Clemson
EDMOND — Cameron Westbrook sees Justice Hansen every day up close.
The Edmond Santa Fe running back sees what Hansen does with his arm and his feet week-in and week-out.
Photoview all 23 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
So it is not surprising that Westbrook was impressed with Hansen's performance Thursday night as the Wolves beat Southmoore 53-37 at Wantland Stadium.
“He's amazing,” Westbrook said. “It's starting to get a little old, though, because he's just that good of a player. But he keeps getting more and more impressive.”
Hansen threw for 272 yards and five touchdowns and ran for 103 yards and two more scores.
His biggest came early in the third quarter, after Southmoore had come from a 20-0 deficit to take the lead.
Hansen responded by taking control, carrying on the final four plays of Santa Fe's next drive, finishing it off with a 13-yard touchdown run to give the Wolves the lead for good.
Last season, Santa Fe lost to Midwest City in its final nondistrict game before picking up a big district-opening win against Westmoore. That sparked an eight-game winning streak that lasted into the Class 6A playoffs.
This year, Santa Fe was looking for another bounce-back win after falling to Edmond North, 26-13.
“It's just the way Coach (Lance) Manning got us back out working after last week, and it was the same thing last year,” Westbrook said. “We had a hard week of practice and it showed.”
It looked like Santa Fe would cruise early before Southmoore adjusted. The SaberCats came back with four consecutive touchdowns.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister