Spice is nice when you can find it
The Food Dude shares a recipe for barbecue rub with spices not previously found in Oklahoma City but now available at Savory Spice Shop.
The arrival of Savory Spice Shop means my trips to Pendery's World of Chiles and Spices in Fort Worth, Texas, will be greatly curtailed. For years, the only place I could get my favorite chimayo chile powder outside of New Mexico was in downtown Fort Worth, in the hospital district.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Dry Rub for Barbecue
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons chimayo chile powder
1 tablespoon guajillo chile powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons fresh ground tellicherry black pepper
2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Savory Spice Shops' opening doesn't totally end my association with Pendery's, but I can now share recipes with the confidence that readers will no longer have to immediately turn to the Internet.
Here's a quick barbecue rub great for pork ribs, to use on brisket, 86 the sugar and add ground mustard seed. Use this recipe as a launching point not gospel. The fun a place like Savory Spice Shop offers is in the journey from a spice blend borrowed to one of your own to some day share.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims