Student stabbed in lip at Roosevelt Middle School in Oklahoma City
A 14-year-old boy was stabbed by a fellow student Monday at the Oklahoma City school, authorities said.
An eighth-grade student was stabbed in the upper lip by another student Monday at Roosevelt Middle School, 3233 SW 44, authorities said.
The stabbing occurred during lunch about 1:10 p.m. near the school's basketball courts, according to police and a statement from Oklahoma City Public Schools.
A school resource officer saw the victim, a 14-year-old boy, step backward in an attempt to avoid the assault by a seventh-grade boy.
“It looked like one delivered a punch to the other,” police Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow said.
When the officer ran toward the students, he discovered the victim had been stabbed.
The victim was released to his parents, according to the statement from the school district.
The officer handcuffed the other student, secured his knife and placed him in investigative detention at the school, Wardlow said.
Police jailed Avila Ruben, 13, at the Oklahoma County Juvenile Detention Center on complaints of assault and battery with a deadly weapon and carrying a weapon a school grounds, Wardlow said.
The student also will be disciplined by the district, which has a zero-tolerance policy for weapons on its campuses, according to the statement.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22254Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17756Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12801Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10958Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10241Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9718Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8905OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures