Oklahoma Community Orchestra to kick off season
The concert will feature former Miss America and Oklahoma native Susan Powell.
The Oklahoma Community Orchestra's first concert of the 2012-2013 concert series will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, featuring Elk City native and 1981 Miss America Susan Powell singing Broadway selections and light classics.
The concert is themed “American Spectacular,” and will be performed at Oklahoma Christian University's Garvey Center, 2501 E Memorial Rd.
Oklahoma composer Callen Clarke will open the program with a special overture written for the performance.
Other repertoire includes Symphony No. 2 by Howard Hanson and the Short Overture to an Unwritten Opera by Don Gillis.
The audience is invited to a reception in the conservatory after the performance to meet the guest artists.
About 75 musicians comprise the Oklahoma Community Orchestra, including professional musicians, business professionals, former high school and college orchestra members, a limited number of college students and a variety of music teachers.
The orchestra members are volunteers, unpaid for the weekly rehearsals and for the four to six concerts performed each season.
For more detailed programming, visit www.okorchestra.org.
Tickets can be purchased online for $8 or for $10 at the door.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims