High school football: Peyton Gavras throws for five touchdowns as Norman North romps
Jake Higginbotham catches two TD passes, finishes with five receptions for 176 yards during rout of Edmond North
NORMAN — Norman North had big plays from a lot of players Thursday night against previously undefeated Edmond North.
In the middle of almost all of them, offensively, at least, was Peyton Gavras.
Photoview all 22 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Gavras' monster night led to the Timberwolves' 49-27 win over the Huskies at Harve Collins Field.
“Peyton has gotten better week after week after week,” Norman North coach Wade Standley said. “He knows where to put it.”
Gavras threw for 379 yards and five touchdowns, with three coming from at least 30 yards.
“With our game plan coming in, we knew there were going to be times when we could go deep on them,” Gavras said. “It's hard to say you're going to do it that much, but it kept being there for us.”
Jake Higginbotham had a pair of touchdown catches and finished with five receptions for 176 yards.
Norman North (6-1 overall, 4-0 district) took control of District 6A-3 with the win. The Timberwolves are the only team in the district without a loss. Edmond North fell to 6-1 overall and 3-1 in district play.
“We're in great position now,” Gavras said. “But we can't let up. We've got to keep playing well next week against Putnam City North.”
The Timberwolves jumped on Edmond North early, with Gavras touchdown passes on each of their first two possessions.
Both drives were keyed by big catches by Higginbotham. He had a 48-yard reception on Norman North's first play that set up Payton Prince's first touchdown catch. Higginbotham added a 45-yard touchdown reception on the second play of the Timberwolves' second possession.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 46837Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15035Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9615Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8305Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8125Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7398Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7351Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena