Grove holds off Chickasha for Class 5A softball title
Pitcher's duel goes to Grove in 3-2 victory.
It was a pitcher's duel for the ages as Grove's Jessica Walker and Chickasha's Kelsi Gore faced off in the 5A state championship game Monday afternoon at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium. Walker's Lady Ridgerunners came out on top, holding off the Fightin' Chicks for a 3-2 victory.
NewsOK Related Articles
“This is the third year in a row we've been to the state tournament and made it to the semifinals two straight years before getting to the championship game,” said Grove coach Jeremy Collins. “Getting past Carl Albert last Friday was a big step to getting here. Our kids just stepped up. It's somebody different all the time. Tonight it was Morgan Knox's turn. Jessie Walker pitched lights out again.”
Chickasha matched Walker's run with one in the bottom half of the fourth. Gore reached on an error and came home on one of Brooklin Burns' two runs batted in on the afternoon. Grove regained the lead in the fifth when Megan Freeman scored on a Taylor Dodson single.
The Lady Ridgerunners added the eventual game-winning run in the sixth as Knox drove in pinch runner Ciera Christy to give Grove a 3-2 advantage heading into the bottom half of the sixth.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 28347Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 17448Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7187OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5536OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4738Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3702Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater