Oologah shuts out Piedmont for Class 4A title
Mustangs silence Piedmont offense in completion of suspended game.
Oologah halted one of the state tournament's most potent offenses Monday afternoon, blanking Piedmont 10-0 in six innings in the 4A title game. The Mustangs' first four hitters combined to hit 8 for 13 and reached 12 of a possible 17 times during game. The quartet had one triple, one double, six singles, two walks and two hit by pitches.
NewsOK Related Articles
“We've been dreaming about this all season, said Oologah coach Andrea Vaughn. “We've been talking about this all season and for it to finally become reality is a little surreal.”
Alex Edinger led the offense, going 4 for 5 with two runs scored. Edinger's lone run driven in was the final run of the game that forced the run rule. Hunter Jeffs struck out eight and kept the Wildcats off the scoreboard. Entering the game, Piedmont had scored 29 runs in two games at the state tournament.
“It's huge,” Vaughn said regarding her one through four hitters. “They show great leadership. We know if we can get just one of them on, it's going to be a threat. They did a good job of that today.”
The Mustangs had a 3-0 lead when play was suspended on Saturday and wasted no time tacking on more runs, scoring four in the bottom of the fourth, the first inning of play following the suspension.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad