No Toil-No Boil Lasagna
No toil-no boil lasagna: You don't need a lot of layers to create an Italian classic.
No toil-no boil lasagna
Think easy when making lasagna with this simplified version of an Italian classic.
AT A GLANCE
San Marzano tomatoes have a lovely Italian essence, but other varieties of whole stewed tomatoes may be used. I loved the results using Cento brand of tomatoes.
Look for Della Terra fresh lasagna pasta to be widely available in early November. Until then you will find the dried version exclusively at the Urban Agrarian Market (in the old public market area at 1235 SW 2 St., 231-1919). You will love these easy, no-boil sheets of locally produced pasta for making lasagna. I can imagine the fresh ones will be even easier to use.
cleaning up stuck-on cheese
Use cool water to remove cheese with ease. After rinsing with warm or hot water, switch to cool tap and watch the stuck-on cheese roll up and disappear from the dish.
Collaborating with chef Chris Becker of Della Terra Pasta gave me a new perspective on lasagna: all that satisfying flavor of lasagna as I knew it layered into just a few exquisite layers of Italian bliss. You have to make it to believe it. Of course, you can add more layers, including linear slices of zucchini or eggplant or even spinach, but you will love the simplicity of this recipe. Besides, how often do you get to stir in a paper towel?
Makes 4 generous servings.
1 pound of Italian sausage; remove casings, if necessary; crumple into pan
1 onion, diced small (about ¾ to 1 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
Optional: 1 or 2 paper towels
1 large (28-ounce) can tomatoes (Cento or San Marzano for best results)
Crushed fennel seed, oregano, thyme, parsley, basil, if desired, but most Italian sausage supplies ample seasoning
Sheets of lasagna pasta to make 3 or 4 layers in baking dish (9-by-9-inch, 8-by-8-inch or 7-by-13-inch oval or rectangular dishes work)
Optional: 1 (15-ounce) tub ricotta cheese
2 (8 ounce) balls buffalo-style mozzarella cheese (presliced or sliced as thin as possible)
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 51290Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14843Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9419Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7710Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7083Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6592Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6563Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes