Oklahoma City’s Amis Materials Co. comes to an end with auction
Family business started in 1900 with mule teams, blasted a way through the Arbuckle Mountains for I-35, rose to presidential heights by building airplanes in the 1950s, and moved earth for 1960s nuclear missile silos, among other interesting things.
Huge turn-of-the-20th-century mule teams, believe it or not, are not the most interesting aspects of the late Amis Materials Co.’s history and legacy.
Mules don’t come up that often in everyday conversation. They were, however, the first interesting thing in Amis business history. So, David Amis, 82, who ran the company since 1985, and I...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in