Safety tips for shoppers
• Keep track of your bags and other packages. If you leave something behind, it could be stolen or discarded.
• Report unattended bags or packages to a security guard or store employee.
• Don't buy more than you can carry. Ask a store employee for help carrying packages to your car if the bundles are making it hard for you to see or walk upright.
• If a receipt has your full credit card number on it, take a pen and scratch it out.
• Make sure you have your credit cards and check book after paying for your items.
Shopping with children
• Make sure children with you have your cellphone number, and give cards with contact information to children who don't.
• Have a plan in place with children in case you get separated, including a central meeting place.
• Let your children know who they can ask for help if they find themselves alone.
• Review the dangers of strangers so children know who not to follow or talk to.
Source: National Crime Prevention Council