Letter of the Month winner: Raoul Carubelli, Oklahoma City
Each month, The Oklahoman's editorial board recognizes a contributor to Your Views for a letter to the editor that exemplifies a timely, fair, accurate and cogent viewpoint. Raoul Carubelli, of Oklahoma City, is the honoree for letters that appeared in Your Views last month. His “School scandals” letter was published Oct. 17.
Meet the writer:
Carubelli, 83, was born in Argentina as the son of Italian immigrants and became a U.S. citizen in 1966. He was educated in Argentina and the University of Minnesota and has a doctorate degree in pharmacy and biochemistry. Carubelli has been a researcher with the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation and the Dean A. McGee Eye Institute. He also taught biochemistry courses at the college level. He and his wife, Barbara, have two children and two grandchildren.
Regarding "Federal inquiry targets city school" (News, Oct. 4): In July we read disturbing news about sexual scandals involving teachers and students and now we face investigations about alleged serious academic scandals. Complaints about serious academic violations at Douglass Mid-High School prompted parallel investigations by the school district and the U.S. Department of Education.
Reports from former teachers and students include allegations of grades being changed by administrators, and of a student who didn't attend English classes, required for graduation, receiving a passing C. A student who couldn't handle algebra was told to have another student to take the course online; an administrator allegedly collected $250 from this student. Poor attendance records, which have a negative impact on grades, were also altered.
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 77543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16211OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13739Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11932Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11090Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11021Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified