Thousands line up in Oklahoma County for second day of early voting
Two-day early voter total for upcoming general election could reach 8,000 by office closing Saturday, the secretary of the Oklahoma County Election Board said. Early voting will continue from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday; regular polling places are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday..
Thousands lined up outside the Oklahoma County Election Board offices Saturday for the second day of early voting before Tuesday's general election.
Videoview all videos
Nov 2The lines formed early for voting at the Oklahoma County...
Photoview all photos
When to vote
The count for Friday, the first day for early voting, was 4,740, said Doug Sanderson, board secretary.
“And my guess is today will be around 2,500 to 3,000 perhaps,” he said. “That's a normal turnout for a presidential election.”
A line of at least 1,000 people snaked around the offices and through its parking lot at noon Saturday, just an hour before closing. Some brought lawn chairs, some pushed strollers and others monitored the University of Oklahoma football game on their cellphones.
Voters said they waited as long as two hours to cast their vote.
Most leaving the voting booths said they came not because they were ready to put the political season behind them, but because they had scheduling conflicts on Tuesday.
“I have to work on Tuesday and I work two jobs,” said Vivian Harris, a registered nurse from Oklahoma City, who opted for the Democratic candidate, Barack Obama. “I just didn't want to miss this opportunity.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?