Classmates to honor Midwest City High School student who died in motorcycle crash
The candlelight vigil will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday at 9221 NE 10 to help students and families grieve and honor Kittrick Johnson Jr. His family also hopes the event raises awareness for organ donation.
MIDWEST CITY — Students clad in blue will congregate at 6 p.m. Wednesday to honor a classmate who died in a motorcycle accident last week.
Blue was Kittrick Johnson Jr.'s favorite color. The Midwest City High School senior, 17, died Saturday after crashing his motorcycle Friday on the way to school.
The candlelight vigil will be at 9221 NE 10. Organizers want to help students and families grieve and honor Johnson. Family members also hope the event raises awareness for organ donation, according to a statement.
Six people waiting for transplants have benefited from Johnson's family's choice to donate the teen's organs, according to the family's attorney, Christina Kirk.
Johnson, of Oklahoma City, was riding a motorcycle to school when he collided Friday morning with a car that turned left in front of him on NE 10 near Lee Drive, police said. Johnson and his motorcycle caught fire, and he suffered third-degree burns over half his body, police said. He died Saturday.
The driver of the car involved in the accident, James Griffiths, 63, of Midwest City, made an improper left turn in front of the motorcycle, police said.
A previous version of this story said in error that the gathering was Tuesday. The story has been updated to reflect that the gathering was held on Wednesday.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad