Pet Tales: Greyhound is 136 years old (in human years)
Heather Warlick: An Edmond greyhound, Myka, might set a record as the oldest living greyhound in the world if he makes it to 20.
Myka the greyhound is 136 years old (in human years, at least)
The average life span of a Greyhound is 12 to 14 years, but an Edmond greyhound seems to have found a secret to longevity.
Myka, whose human is Coree Jakobs, is 19.5 years old and in great health.
“He doesn't have arthritis or back problems. His sight is good, his ears are good, he can sniff anything,” Jakobs said. Jakobs adopted Myka from a Woodward breeder when the dog was 18 months old.
“He wouldn't qualify for racing. When they don't qualify, they send them back to the breeder and usually they just put them down,” Jakobs said. He believes Myka's long life span is because he never raced.
If Myka makes it to 20 — and all signs indicate he will — he could set a record for being the oldest greyhound in the world.
In his younger days, Myka's favorite pastime was, you guessed it, running. And running fast. He loved to challenge other dogs to races. These days, however, Myka is content to take long walks with Jakobs.
Email your pet story and photo to email@example.com or mail it to Heather Warlick, The Oklahoman, P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. Photos cannot be returned.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit