The Archivist: Counting blessings in an election month, win or lose
Mary Phillips: In digging through The Oklahoman’s archives, The Archivist found that people in years past also voted and then counted their blessings, in the same month.
I had never thought about it before, but Election Day and Thanksgiving Day are both in the month of November.
As voters cast ballots in last week’s presidential election, it’s doubtful many were thinking about the upcoming holiday. It’s more likely they were pondering who would win. Even Facebook friends have faced off, espousing the merits of their chosen candidates. So, emotions have been high, not unlike a previous presidential election.
The 1948 presidential election was between President Harry Truman and Gov. Thomas E. Dewey, of New York.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims