Former Navy WAVE holds Navy heritage dear
Barbara Maroney, of Oklahoma City, served in World War II, along with her three brothers.
There aren’t many 92-year-old women who know their way around the workings of a Pratt and Whitney engine on an F-4U Corsair airplane, but Barbara Maroney does.
Maroney served two years as a Navy WAVE during World War II as a metal smith in Pasco, Wash. WAVE is an acronym for Women Accepted for Voluntary Emergency Service.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims