Seniors learn how to better use their smartphones
The traveling seminar AT&T Reconnect Tour stopped in Oklahoma City recently to teach seniors how to use smartphones and tablets. “If we don't learn more about the electronic things, we'll be lost in the past somewhere,” attendee Ralph Beal said.
Floyce and Calvin Floyd have been married 66 years and happily use their basic phones to show off photos of their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
At 87 and 86, they are familiar with computers and use a tablet at home, but last week, they and about 40 others expanded their tech knowledge a bit by attending a traveling seminar for seniors who want to learn more about smartphones.
For one day last week, the Woodson Park Senior Center in south Oklahoma City hosted the AT&T Reconnect Tour, which is traveling across the country as part of the Senior TechRally. The seminar offered seniors the chance to understand how people are using applications, taking and uploading photos, texting, navigating with maps and more. AT&T loaned Pantech Tech phones to each senior who needed one and stationed a representative at each table to answer questions and demonstrate what the presenter was showing on a big screen.
“A whole world of smartphones and tablets opens up to them,” said Naomi Dean, the presenter from Sacramento, Calif. “It's a privilege to be able to host these presentations.”
“Explore. Try. Do.” was the phrase projected often on the screens as the group worked with the loaned Pantech Flex phones. Learning curve
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad