Pets of homeless owners can get holiday treats at Oklahoma City's Jesus House
A pet care event will be held at the Jesus House in Oklahoma City in conjunction with the shelter's annual Thanksgiving meal for the community on Thursday.
The Jesus House is teaming with the Pet Food Pantry of Oklahoma City and Mann's Best Friend to offer a treat for the pets of homeless owners as their owners come to the shelter Thursday to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal.
Videoview all videos
Nov 20Many Oklahoma City area organizations and churches are...
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
During the meal time from 10:30 a.m. to noon, the Pet Food Pantry and Mann's Best Friend, along with their supporters and volunteers, will host a drop-off center to feed and care for the homeless pets while their owners dine.
In addition to pampering the pets, the volunteers will provide owners pet food and other pet care items. Also, the SPOT (Stop Pet Overpopulation Together) clinic will be on site offering low-cost vaccinations and vouchers for free spay/neuter services.
The Jesus House is at 1335 W Sheridan Ave.
“This new twist to our Thanksgiving dinner just warms my heart,” said Rick Denny, the shelter's executive director. “I am an animal lover myself, and I love to observe the very sweet relationships some of our homeless patrons have with their pets. For some, they feel that their pet is their only friend as they walk together on a very difficult journey.”
Tami Golden of the Pet Food Pantry said her organization is thrilled to have an opportunity to serve at Jesus House by helping care for the companion animals of the homeless.
“Our mission is to provide food and pet services for all animals so that no one goes without,'” Golden said. “We are blessed to have volunteers and donors that make events like this possible, and we are hopeful that this will be the first of many ‘Homeless for the Holidays' events.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims