Oklahoma appeals court orders name change in transgender case
The Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals ordered a name change in a transgender case to an applicant who had gender reassignment surgery last December to switch from a man to a woman.
More than 16 months after asking for a name change, Steven Charles Harvey will be allowed to switch to Christie Ann Harvey.
Ruling in a transgender case, the Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals on Tuesday ordered a judge to grant the name change.
“It’s a vindication. ... It’s who I am,” Harvey, 62, said of the new name. “When you’re transgendered, you are born with your mind one way and your body another. And it’s something...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister