Oklahoma City University student group spends Thanksgiving break volunteering
A group of Oklahoma City University students got up early Wednesday morning to make breakfast for people they'd never met. Several members of OCU's Hispanic Student Association volunteered at the Oklahoma City Ronald McDonald House.
As their classmates were sleeping in or using Thanksgiving break to get ahead on coursework, a group of Oklahoma City University students got up early Wednesday to make breakfast for people they'd never met.
How to help
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Oklahoma City,
1301 NE 14 St.,
Oklahoma City, OK 73117-2018
Several members of OCU's Hispanic Student Association volunteered at the Oklahoma City Ronald McDonald House, frying bacon and eggs and making pancakes for the guests there.
This marked the third Thanksgiving the group has volunteered at the home.
Elena Ojeda, president of the organization, said the volunteers generally make standard breakfast fare, such as pancakes or French toast.
“We try to see what everybody knows how to make and go from there,” Ojeda said.
Ronald McDonald House provides lodging and meals for families who leave home to be with hospitalized children.
Ronald McDonald House also provides a family room with a kitchen, laundry facilities and other amenities in the Children's Hospital at OU Medical Center.
Ojeda, a senior, said the group began volunteering at the home three years ago. At the time, the president of the organization worked at the home and asked the group's members if they'd be willing to volunteer on the morning of Thanksgiving Day.
This year, the group moved the breakfast to the day before Thanksgiving. Generally, Ojeda said, any members of the organization who aren't leaving the Oklahoma City area for the holiday volunteer. Volunteers begin planning the menu a few weeks in advance. They buy the ingredients using money from the organization's budget.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit