Your Money: When dating, when is it appropriate to talk finances?
Dave Ramsey: When is it appropriate to let someone you're dating know about your financial situation?
DEAR DAVE: I'm in a very fortunate position when it comes to my finances. I'm 25 and I make $50,000 a year. I'm also completely debt-free. In your opinion, when is it appropriate to let someone you're dating know about your financial situation?
DEAR ANONYMOUS: Wow, you are in a great position for someone so young. I'm not sure how you got there, but it certainly wasn't by being dumb or immature.
I think it's only natural in a dating situation to reveal more about oneself as time passes and the relationship gets deeper and more serious. In my mind, people who start throwing around financial information on a first date are either extremely superficial or just plain weird.
But after you've been dating a while, and definitely before you're engaged, you should know everything about the other person. There should be complete disclosure in every area of your lives. That's called intimacy. There's no room for skeletons in the closet when it comes to a healthy relationship.
Just take your time. Then, as the relationship progresses, the depth of intimacy and the depth of information will progress in all areas of your lives.
Should I buy a fixer-upper to flip?
DEAR DAVE: My wife and I want to do a live-in/flip real estate purchase. The idea is to buy a fixer-upper and rent out the basement to help with the mortgage payments. What do you think?
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments