Collected Wisdom: Oklahoma running back Brennan Clay talks about his Bedlam-winning touchdown
NORMAN — Brennan Clay's first two-and-a-half seasons were injury-riddled and disappointing.
But his last four games have been the opposite, transforming from an afterthought benchwarmer to reliable feel-good story.
Videoview all videos
Nov 25In his last game on Owen Field, OU senior quarterback...
Photoview all 104 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It started with a 157-yard breakout performance at Iowa State in early November and culminated with a game-winning 18-yard overtime touchdown on Saturday night, capping a wild 51-48 win for OU.
But before that Bedlam-clinching rumble, Clay and the rest of OU's running game was held in check by Oklahoma State, relying on a potent passing attack to mirror an underwhelming three yards per carry.
But the touchdown run that sent Norman into an uproar and Owen Field into a mob scene is what many people will remember. Here's how Clay recalled the moments leading up to and just after the run:
We just knew we got to keep pounding it and pounding it and it's not going to be a big one every time, especially against a good defense like Oklahoma State. And they did a great scheming against us. They were able to do a good job stopping the run.
You could tell (they were worn down late). But we were worn down, too — playing at such a fast-tempo. Just keep staying with it and staying with it, knowing we were going to bust one sooner or later.
It was a cut play and it was just right up the middle pretty much and Trey (Millard) came backside and kicked out the D-end and they had a big collision there, so I just paced up the field and then Gabe (Ikard) came down on the right and slammed down on the nose (tackle).
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort