Oklahoma football: With no margin for error, Landry Jones was at his best
OU REPORT CARD — For the second straight week, an Oklahoma victory depended on Landry Jones delivering flawlessly late. And for the second straight week, the Sooner senior quarterback thrived in the clutch.
The grades were high for OU's offense in the Sooners' 51-48 overtime victory in Bedlam. The silver linings in the OU defense were a little harder to find.
Videoview all videos
Nov 25In his last game on Owen Field, OU senior quarterback...
Photoview all 104 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Landry late: A. On the drive that became do or die because of the clock, taking over with 6:18 left down seven, Landry Jones completed 10 of 13 passes for 77 yards. One of his incompletions was a drop. Another was a throw to Sterling Shepard in the end zone that one official ruled a touchdown. Landry simply was pristine. To review, counting the two touchdown drives in the final seven minutes at West Virginia, Landry the last two weeks has completed 19 of 23 passes for 212 yards in drives with no margin for error.
Scheming Chelf: C. The Sooners weren't ready for Clint Chelf's wheels. In the first half, the Cowboy quarterback repeatedly burned OU on quarterback draws and even option plays out of the shotgun. At halftime, he was the game's leading rusher, with 63 yards. But after halftime, Chelf's three draws totaled just 14 yards, and he scrambled for no positive yardage.
Pass protection: A. The Cowboys came in with a hot pass rush. OU ran 74 pass plays and gave up one sack and just two quarterback hurries. With a patched-together line, that's phenomenal blocking.
Red-zone defense: C. The Cowboys penetrated the OU 20-yard line six times. OSU scored on touchdowns on the first five trips and only once faced a third down in the red zone. But the Sooners staged their only stop when it mattered most — in overtime. Chelf threw incomplete on first down from the 13, hit Josh Stewart for a six-yard gain and then threw incomplete across the middle as the Sooners well-covered Blake Jackson. OSU settled for a field goal.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister