Oklahoma State football notebook: Mike Gundy gives team a break for laughs
Oklahoma State skipped its normal Sunday evening practice to watch some standup comedy.
Still sensing an emotional hangover from the Bedlam loss, Cowboys coach Mike Gundy asked his team to do something different Sunday night.
Videoview all videos
Nov 26The OSU head coach talks about putting the tough loss to...
Nov 21The former Cowboy makes a big prediction for Bedlam. Gina...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Laugh a little.
OSU skipped its regular Sunday night practice, instead catching some standup comedy in the team's meeting room, via Netflix.
“Everybody's somber and down,” Gundy said. “And the truth of the matter is, our defense played (103) plays. Offense was up around 70-something. And there were special teams.
“We're in our eighth week straight. We had this beautiful schedule where we played a game and had an open date, played a game and had an open date. So now we're on an eight-week stretch here. We felt like they needed a break.”
Gundy said he decided “30 minutes before the meeting,” to give the players a choice to watch some comics, or practice.
An easy choice.
“We turned the lights off and they laughed and had the best time,” Gundy said. “And when it was over, we watched tape and graded it, ate dinner and sent them home.
“It kind of changed who they were at that time. They felt better about it.”
Gundy didn't pick the comedians, instead allowing the players to suggest who to watch from the Netflix library.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister