Payments to begin soon for Indian trust account holders
With legal challenges to the historic Cobell settlement ended, the federal government will send out payments of $1,000 that may reach Indians within weeks. An estimated 50,000 in Oklahoma will be included.
WASHINGTON — Nearly two years after Congress approved a settlement in the long-running lawsuit over individual Indian trust accounts, the federal government is preparing to send out checks to nearly 500,000 American Indians, including an estimated 50,000 in Oklahoma.
The U.S. Interior Department announced on Monday that disbursement of $1.4 billion will begin, now that legal challenges to the historic settlement have ended. Lawyers for the Indian trust account holders said the first payments should be distributed before the end of the year.
Those tax-free payments of $1,000 will be sent to about 350,000 beneficiaries, the lawyers said.
“I welcome the final approval of the Cobell settlement agreement, clearing the way for reconciliation between the trust beneficiaries and the federal government,” President Barack Obama said Monday.
“While Elouise Cobell, the named plaintiff in this case is no longer with us, her legacy will be a renewed commitment to our trust relationship with Indian Country.”
Cobell was the driving force behind the lawsuit, filed here in 1996 to force the U.S. government to improve its management of the trust accounts holding the proceeds from land sales, oil and gas leasing, grazing and other activities.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister