High school football: Norman North's Jaxon Uhles will be key to Timberwolves' success against Jenks
Jaxon Uhles comes from a football family, and his coach calls him “the ultimate football player.” Uhles and the T-Wolves' other linebackers face a tough task this week in slowing down Jenks running back Trey'Vonne Barr'e.
To say Norman North's Jaxon Uhles comes from a football family is an understatement.
His dad and two uncles played high school football. One uncle, Ric, played for Oklahoma's 1985 national championship team.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
One cousin, Lance, starred at Norman North and this season helped Emporia State to a 10-2 season.
Another cousin, Zac, was a key to Norman's offensive line this season and is committed to Tulsa.
So the praise that Timberwolves coach Wade Standley heaps on his senior linebacker is no surprise.
“He's the ultimate football player,” Standley said.
Uhles leads the Timberwolves into the Class 6A state title game against Jenks at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater.
Jordan Evans, who committed to Oklahoma on Tuesday night, gets most of the attention on Norman North's defense.
But Uhles is just as big of a part of the Timberwolves' success on that side.
“If you aren't doing what you're supposed to be doing, he'll let you know,” Evans said. “He'll let me know.”
Uhles also makes plenty of plays.
In last week's semifinal win over Owasso, Uhles delivered a crushing tackle on Owasso's running back late in the game that helped Norman North hang on for a 49-42 win.
“He's having an insane year,” Norman North's Jake Higginbotham said. “He makes plays and I don't understand how he does it.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed