Oklahoma State basketball: Cowgirls dominate the boards, beat Texas State
STILLWATER — Jim Littell has been coaching basketball for more than 30 years.
But he's not sure he's ever seen one particular stat that Oklahoma State put up Wednesday night.
The No. 18 Cowgirls grabbed 67 rebounds — including 30 on the offensive end — to overpower Texas State 90-55 at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
“I don't know if I've ever had a team at any level get 30 offensive boards before,” Littell said. “That's attacking the glass and doing a nice job and getting second and third opportunities.
“We were sending two guards back (on defense), and that (rebounding) was coming entirely from our three, four and five players, so I thought they were very relentless in going to the boards.”
No one was more relentless than Toni Young, who finished with 19 rebounds to complement her 24 points. Those boards often helped her get easy putbacks for a Cowgirl squad that finished with 26 second-chance points, or ignited the transition game for a group that tallied 23 fast-break points.
“It's fun jumping over people,” Young said. “I enjoy it. It just felt natural. I didn't really realize how high I was jumping when I was getting over people.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 63579Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 37826Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 34889Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13810Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12671Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12126Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive