Douglass Mid-High School
• February 2008: Brian Staples is named principal after a first-year principal returned to his assistant principal position at another school.
• July 2008: Assistant Principal Marcia Muhammad is assigned to Douglass, despite Staples' objections. The two had previously worked together at Northeast Academy.
• March 2010: A man attacks Staples in the school parking lot. The man hit the principal with a baton or club after school.
• June 2010: Douglass Middle School, which is part of Douglass High School, is one of several district schools to receive federal funding through School Improvement Grants. The grant comes with major reform requirements.
• June 2010: Marcia Muhammad is put on administrative leave, and Staples recommends she be fired for disobedience and “unwillingness to work toward goals.” After an eight-hour hearing, the school board fires Muhammad.
• August 2010: An assistant librarian is fired after Staples reports she was chronically absent and didn't perform well at her job. The librarian says Staples harassed her and assigned her new job duties that caused stress.
• January 2011: A total of 18 teachers had left Douglass when school resumed for the spring semester. Several teachers tell The Oklahoman that Staples demanded more of them, and the result was better teacher performance. A total of 40 of the 55 teachers would quit or be fired during the 2010-11 school year.
Continue reading this story on the...