Leo Chang, lead designer for Kevin Durant's Nike shoe line: In his words
Leo Chang is the man behind Kevin Durant's signature line of Nike shoes. The company's basketball footwear design director has overseen all five versions, including the new KD V, which builds around the numeral five. Five players on a team. Five sides to the Pentagon, a major landmark in Durant's home area. Five points to a star, which Durant has become.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Chang talks about how the design came together.
I actually met with Kevin last summer. We actually went to his house, and I showed him kind of what I thought would be the design. I kind of sensed that he wasn't quite feeling it here and there.
It wasn't until a couple weeks later — it was LaMarcus Aldridge's charity tournament here in Portland that he came out for; it was during the lockout — that he was like ... “Hey, here's what I'm thinking. I want to switch it up. I don't want to go low-top on this one. I want to go more of a mid-cut. Then, I want the back air bubble in the back, in the heel. Then, I'll send you some images of some cool inspiration stuff.”
This was probably his first time really opening up like that. Each year, he just gets better and better.
He started out ... he was pretty shy and quiet. Now, he's definitely able to feel like he can tell me anything, whether he hates it or not. I actually really enjoy that — “I'm not feeling that direction but this other direction.” I really appreciated that. I learn more from that stuff than him just saying, “Oh, yeah, that's cool.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 57337Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14801Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9259Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7518Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6644Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6577Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6568How to help tornado victims