Class 3A football: Kingfisher advances to title game, will face Blanchard
Top-ranked Kingfisher was facing adversity in the fourth quarter for one of the few times this season against Seminole in Saturday night's Class 3A semifinal.
Photoview all 50 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Kingfisher's two stars, quarterback Grant Newton and running Landon Nault, both had fumbled away critical scoring chances inside the 10 in the second half when the Yellowjackets were trailing.
But the pair redeemed themselves by scoring three fourth quarter touchdowns to rally Kingfisher past Seminole, 31-26, at Putnam City Stadium in a battle of unbeatens.
“They ended up making up for it,” Kingfisher coach Jeff Myers said.
Nault had scoring runs of 30 and 15 yards in the fourth period to bring Kingfisher back from a 19-10 deficit at the start of the quarter. Newton then sealed the victory with a 73-yard scoring run with less than five minutes remaining
Kingfisher (14-0) now meets Blanchard (12-1) for the Class 3A state title next week.
Nault finished the game 168 yards rushing on 23 carries. Newton had 19 carries for 181 yards, 154 coming in the second half.
He lost 15 yards on the stat sheet when Kingfisher was running out the clock at the end of the game.
“We couldn't stop the quarterback in the second half,” Seminole coach Mike Snyder said. “The quarterback is the wild card in their offense. He is such a good player. His speed got to us.”
Seminole wasted a brilliant performance from running back Trenton Newson, who rushed for 262 yards on 22 carries and two touchdowns.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims