Arkansas hires Wisconsin's Bret Bielema as new football coach
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — A person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press that Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema has agreed to become the new coach at Arkansas.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Bielema will sign a multi-year contract soon, according to the person spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the school had not yet made an official announcement.
The move was the second stunning hire at Arkansas, which brought in John L. Smith after firing Bobby Petrino earlier this year after a scandal in which Petrino hired his mistress to work in the football department.
Reports out of Arkansas early Tuesday had the Razorbacks hiring Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy to be the new coach. Sources told The Oklahoman Tuesday morning Gundy had not been hired at Arkansas.
Arkansas was 21-5 the last two seasons, but went 4-8 this season under Smith. Athletic director Jeff Long announced after the season that Smith would not return.
Bielema was 68-24 in seven seasons at Wisconsin, including an 8-5 mark this season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12316OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7699Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6657Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6438Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5739Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4894Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4675Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers