High school wrestlers to watch for the 2012-2013 season
Tuttle's Zachary Beard and Southmoore's Nathan Marek are among the returning state champions.
Zachary Beard, Tuttle, senior: A three-time state champion, Beard was 42-0 last season wrestling at 170 pounds.
Cole Pacheco, Deer Creek, junior: Pacheco won his first state championship last year, finishing the season with a 42-2 record wrestling at 145.
NewsOK Related Articles
Gunner Laffoon, Tuttle, senior: Laffoon dominated in the state wrestling tournament last season, pinning all three of his opponents in less than four minutes to win the 120-pound title.
Nathan Marek, Southmoore, junior: Marek won the state championship last season, winning a 13-11 decision over Tulsa Union's Kyle Ash in the 160-pound title bout.
Joe Smith, Stillwater, sophomore: The son of Oklahoma State wrestling coach John Smith went unbeaten in his freshman season, winning his three state tournament contests at 113 by two major decisions and a fall.
Jacoby Brown, Chickasha, senior: Brown won a state championship last season at 220 pounds with a 3-0 victory over defending champ Landry Chappell of Guthrie in the title bout.
Davey Dolan, Berryhill, senior: A three-time state champion
Keilan Torres, Altus, junior: A two-time state champion
Gary Wayne Harding, Collinsville, junior: A two-time state champion
Jon Townsend, Comanche, senior: A two-time state champion
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in