Ringling beats Wynnewood for Class A football championship
Taner Richardson throws for two touchdowns, runs for another and intercepts two passes.
STILLWATER — Ringling's Jackson Dillon remembers sitting with Taner Richardson and his grandfather about seven years ago.
NewsOK Related Articles
“We'd be there and even when he was in fourth grade and him and his grandpa are sitting there drawing up football plays and watching SportsCenter,” Dillon said.
It was around that time that Richardson started dreaming of winning a state championship for Ringling.
Saturday, he accomplished that, turning in a huge game on both sides of the ball to give Ringling the Class A title with a 39-12 win over Wynnewood at Boone Pickens Stadium.
The reality of winning exceeded Richardson's expectations.
“It's better; it's better; it's way better,” said Richardson, comparing his dreams of the moment with the reality.
Richardson's grandfather, Bill Fincher, was among the large crowd from Ringling.
The win gave the Blue Devils their first state championship since 2003 and their fourth overall.
Ringling capped this one off in dominating fashion, with Richardson throwing for two touchdowns and running for another and intercepting a pair of passes.
Blue Devils coach Tracy Gandy had won titles as a player and an assistant coach at Ringling, but this was his first as head coach.
He remembers his experience playing for a title as a player
“That's what I wanted our kids to experience,” Gandy said. “Whether we won or lost this game, I was happy they were getting to experience something very few kids get to do. We've experienced it. A lot of our coaches have. But to see the smiles on those kids and see them rewarded, that's why we coach.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7078Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6616OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5593Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4449Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4211Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater