Pet Tales: Dog owners shop early for pet gifts
Heather Warlick: Barking Dog Bakery offers a variety of healthy treats for dogs, including cookies and cakes.
The holidays are the busiest time of the year at most retailers and that includes local pet specialty stores.
At locally owned Barking Dog Bakery, 7710 N May Ave., owner Sherri Lanier said shoppers are coming out in droves buying Christmas and Hanukkah gifts for their precious pooches. When it comes to their pets, she said, her customers aren't being Scrooges. They're spending anywhere from $20 to $80 on the delicious, hand-baked K-9 treats.
“This is like a pet owner's version of Valentine's Day,” she said. (Valentine's Day is her second busiest time of year.)
The bakery prepares treats of several different flavors and sizes. They even offer frozen yogurts, birthday cakes and cookies. They'll personalize cookies and cakes for your dog and you can find treats created for diabetic, wheat and corn-free diets.
You'll also find fun ideas for nonedible dog gifts such as Doggles (doggy sunglasses), cool collars and ID tags.
To submit a pet story and photo, email your story and photo to email@example.com or mail it to Heather Warlick, The Oklahoman, P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. Photos cannot be returned.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims