Seminole Nation Chief Leonard Harjo to seek re-election
Leonard M. Harjo belongs to the Panther (Tiger) Clan and is a member of the Tusekia Harjo Band. The Seminole Nation of Oklahoma is based in Wewoka, Oklahoma.
WEWOKA — Chief Leonard M. Harjo has announced his intention to ask the Seminole people for the opportunity to serve a second term as principal chief.
“We have just begun the process of building the Seminole Nation of the 21st century on a solid foundation of financial integrity and cultural heritage,” Harjo said. “The most visible results of our efforts include a significantly larger casino at Interstate 40, a new and growing language program and immersion school, a new office/maintenance building for the Tribal Transit program, a new child care center in Seminole, a new Tribal Court system and a new Family Shelter. Less visible are the results of a significant investment in the renovation and repair of older facilities such as the Tribal Complex, the Mekusukey multi-purpose center and softball complex.”
Recently funded projects include development of a new facility at Mekusukey for the community health representative, diabetes prevention, and alcohol/substance abuse programs; a three-year language program curriculum expansion grant; and a veterans cemetery, memorial and gathering place. New leases allowing the Wewoka Indian Health Center to add the space it needs to significantly expand on-site health services are in the final stages of negotiation.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister