Oklahoma State football: QB Luke Del Rio reopens his recruiting
Son of Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio has decommitted from OSU, but the Cowboys remain among his final five schools.
Luke Del Rio called Mike Gundy on Tuesday morning with the unfortunate news.
“He picked up and I pretty much told him what was going on, told him that I thought the best thing for me right now was to decommit,” Del Rio said. “I really don't like going back on my word. But I wasn't going to let that deter me from finding the perfect spot.”
Videoview all videos
Dec 10Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell discuss who will be the...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
For a long time, Del Rio thought Oklahoma State was that ideal spot. The Elite 11 three-star quarterback out of Valor Christian in Denver committed to the Cowboys in late May, remaining passionately pledged (and showing it on Twitter) throughout the following months.
Then came Monday night's news. Todd Monken, OSU's offensive coordinator and a family friend of the Del Rios, was leaving the Cowboys to become head coach at Southern Miss.
Luke's lead recruiter and strongest tie to Stillwater was gone. And with it went his commitment.
“(Gundy) reiterated how impressed he was and all that and how he still wanted me to go there and he was still going to recruit me,” Del Rio said. “He understood, but he was still going to try to make me a Cowboy. That's one of the main reasons I kept them in the running as this thing unfolds.”
An eventual career at OSU still seems unlikely for Del Rio, but the Cowboys still remain in his final five, a list that includes Oregon State (the favorite), Alabama, UCLA and Southern Miss (because of the Monken ties).
He will graduate high school this month and plans to enroll in college next semester, meaning the decision will likely come at some point soon.
“I'm not going to rush into it until I made up my mind,” Del Rio said. “I'm going to do everything I can to make up my mind, but if it's not made up, I won't rush into anything.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated