Coastal waters of Venice, Louisiana, offer some of the best fishing in the world
Here are answers to five common questions about fishing here
VENICE, La. — The shallow, Gulf Coastal waters around Venice, La., are most certainly one of the five top fishing destinations in North America and maybe the world.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Based on quality of fish, variety of species and access, some anglers even argue it is the best fishing found anywhere, yet rarely will you have to share fishing waters with other anglers because there are miles and miles of it.
Many Oklahoma anglers have discovered the fishing bonanza that exists 14 hours south of Oklahoma City, catching record and near record fish on a regular basis.
If planning a trip to this fishing Mecca, here are answers to the five most common questions about fishing in Venice.
1. Should I hire a guide or fish on my own? If sharing water with ships the size of your college alma mater, getting lost or running aground occasionally gives you pause, then consider hiring a reputable guide.
To hire a guide, just Google “Venice fishing guide” then thoroughly check references.
If you're more adventurous, just load up the bass boat and go. Be sure to get a good chart, GPS and compass.
Two boats are better in case of breakdowns. There are several motels in the area.
2. What can I catch? Redfish are the most popular species for anglers but all manner of fish are available.
On my recent fishing trip with Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice Joseph Watt, we caught reds, black drum, amber jack, flounder, pompano, Spanish mackerel, speckled trout, largemouth bass all in about the same water using the same tackle.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 92690Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17105OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12852Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8967Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8623Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8590How to help tornado victims
- 8406Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located